Q - Queen Alexandra Dock
Opened in 1907 after construction that involved reclamation from the sea. The dock covers 52 acres and was needed not only to handle greater volumes of trade but also to accommodate larger vessels that were coming to the fore.
The south-eastern side of the dock was equipped with coaling hoists and cranes. The north-western side for general cargo handling and developments saw the construction of a cold store for frozen meat and other warehouses for general cargo as well as a timber import quay.
Coaling on south-eastern side has been replaced in recent times by an oil tank farm and container terminal amongst other facilities.
The dock is still in operation by Associated British Ports.