R - Roath Dock
The Dock itself opened to trade in 1887 linked to its Basin which had been in operation for 13 years.
Construction of the dock was carried out on land reclaimed from the sea. Work began in 1883 with a sod cutting ceremony by Lord Bute starting one of the steam-diggers, which were used extensively. The spoil was taken away by tipper trucks on temporary rail lines.
The new dock had an area of 33 acres and was to equipped with up-to-date mechanical equipment and had increased quay space and additional warehouses.