The Heritage & Cultural Exchange

G - Glamorgan Canal

Photo of Sea Lock basin on canal
The canal opened as far as the sea lock in 1798 mainly to handle iron from Merthyr Tydfil at the instigation of the Crawshay family. It was only some year later that coal was transported in any quantity.
This photo from 1891 shows the sea lock and what had been the site of wharves for the coal shipped from Cardiff.