The Heritage & Cultural Exchange

Y - Yard for shipbuilding

Engraving of shipbuilding yard
The Bute Shipbuilding Engineering and Dry Dock Co had their ship yard on the River Taff at the end of Clarence Road. The company which was established in 1883 headed by Morel Brothers, who were also ship owners took over the yard built in 1865. Only a few ships were built with steel from the Dowlais Works and the company concentrated on ship repair
This engraving was taken from a watercolour painting done in 1884