L - Loudoun Square
At the centre of Tiger Bay, Loudoun Square was originally built in the mid-1850’s as up-market homes for merchants, mariners, ship brokers and the like around a central park. But by the 1880’s the wealthier residents had moved away to new suburbs and Loudoun Square became increasingly overcrowded as residents took in tenants and boarders to help pay the high rents. The boarders were largely seafarers and so a diverse racial community built up.
By 1950’s the whole area was in extremely poor repair it was decided to demolish the existing houses and replace them. Loudoun Square was cleared in 1960 and two tower blocks were built on the central park.
In 2010 work started on a further revamp of housing and other facilities.