N - Norwegian Church
Prefabricated in Norway and shipped to Cardiff it was originally made from corrugated iron sheets so that it should be easily dismantled and re-located, if necessary, from its position between the Bute East and Bute West Docks. It was referred to as the Norwegian Iron Church until being reclad in timber.
The church was consecrated on 16 December 1869 and was open to all sailors also as a mission offering food, shelter and a reading room. It became a centre for the Nordic community and hosted family occasions, such as weddings and christenings. The writer Roald Dahl was christened there in 1916.
The church was deconsecrated in 1974 after which it stood derelict until its eventual removal in 1987. Reconstructed in its present location with a gallery and café it was re-opened as the Norwegian Church Arts Centre in 1992 by Princess Märtha Louise of Norway.