The Heritage & Cultural Exchange

E - East Dock

Photo of sailing ship at coaling tip
The first part of the dock was opened in 1855 but not finally completed until 1859. The dock was closed in 1970 and Atlantic Wharf is all that remains.
This photo was taken 17 July 1884 and shows a sailing ship waiting to be loaded with coal from the tip for transport to London or maybe Nantes.